Harry Potter fans are familiar with the Chosen One’s signature spell, but what spell will you cast most often in Hogwarts Legacy?
Maybe you prefer Stupefy, Protego, or even Avada Kedavra!
In Hogwarts Legacy, you will write your own story in the wizarding world. Spellcasting is key to that experience. Will you choose a stealthy approach, avoiding enemies whenever possible, or will you choose to destroy everything in your path? Players will face multiple options in this open-world RPG!
Today we’ll be looking at all 60 spells revealed (Revelio!) in the Hogwarts Legacy State of Play. (If you’ve already seen it, you know, many, many times — you can enjoy my live reaction or my frame-by-frame analysis with Auror Jeffrey!)
Some of these are spells we expect to learn and use in Hogwarts Legacy because they’re spoken or seen used by characters, and some are name drops in the background that I uncovered in a frame-by-frame analysis. To visually see the specific moments of each spell, you can watch my video overview.
Grab your wand, and let’s take a look!
Spells Cast in Hogwarts Legacy State of Play
What spells in Hogwarts Legacy did we see or hear being cast? I found 20 in total.
- Accio (Summoning Charm): Summons an object towards the caster.
- Avada Kedavra (Killing Curse): Causes instantaneous death. It is one of the Unforgivable Curses.
- Bombarda (Exploding Charm): Provokes a small explosion.
- Confringo (Blasting Curse): Produces a fiery explosion.
- Depulso (Banishing Charm): Sends the target away from the caster. It is the counter-charm to the Summoning Charm.
- Descendo: Causes object to fall or move downwards.
- Diffindo (Severing Charm): Used to precisely cut or tear objects.
- Disillusionment Charm: Causes the target to blend seamlessly in with its surroundings, like a chameleon.
- Expelliarmus (Disarming Charm): Forces whatever an opponent is holding to fly out of their hand.
- Glacius (Freezing Spell): Freezes the target with icy-cold air.
- Incendio (Fire-Making Spell): Produces fire.
- Levioso (Levitation Spell): Levitates objects. The caster cannot control the object’s movement through the air, and the spell requires contact with the target. (Note: This is different than the Levitation Charm, Wingardium Leviosa).
- Locomotor (Locomotion Charm): Allows a witch or wizard to levitate a target a few inches off of the ground and then move said object in any given direction.
- Lumos (Wand-Lighting Charm): Illuminates the tip of the caster’s wand.
- Oppugno (Jinx): Causes targeted objects to attack a victim.
- Petrificus Totalus (Full Body-Bind Curse): Used to temporarily bind the victim’s body; the victim will usually fall to the ground.
- Protego (Shield Charm): Invisible shield that reflects spells and blocks physical entities.
- Reducto (Reductor Curse): Breaks objects. In stronger usages, disintegrates them.
- Reparo (Mending Charm): Seamlessly repairs broken objects.
- Stupefy (Stunning Spell): Stuns the target, rendering them unconscious.
Spells on the Charms Classroom Wall
What spells for Hogwarts Legacy were in the background? All 40 of these spells are on the walls of our Charms classroom. (Seriously, the details put into this game are amazing!) There are more spells on the walls than what I’ve listed below, but I’m not including repeats of the spells listed above or the spells that I cannot make out clearly.
Again, check out my video above to find these spells!
- Aberto: A spell used to open doors.
- Aguamenti (Water-Making Spell): Produces a clean drinkable jet of water from the wand tip.
- Alohomora (Unlocking Charm): Unlocks doors and other locked objects.
- Avis (Bird-Conjuring Charm): Conjures a flock of birds from the tip of the wand.
- Colloportus (Locking Spell): Locks doors and all things that can be locked. It is the counter-charm to the Unlocking Spell.
- Confundo (Confundus Charm): Causes the victim to become confused and befuddled.
- Deprimo: Charm used to blast holes in the ground.
- Diminuendo: Forces the target to shrink.
- Dissendium: Used to open passages.
- Engorgio (Engorgement Charm): Causes the target to swell in physical size. Its counter-charm is the Shrinking Charm.
- Episkey: Used to heal relatively minor injuries, such as broken bones and cartilage.
- Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm): This charm is a highly powerful and advanced protective spell which will conjure a spirit guardian of their positive emotions to defend against dark creatures; it can also send messages to other witches or wizards. The Patronus takes the form of an animal, unique to each person who casts it. The form of a Patronus can change when one has undergone a period of heightened emotion.
- Glisseo: Causes the steps on a stairway to flatten into a slide.
- Immobulus (Freezing Charm): Immobilises and stops the actions of the target. It works both on living and inanimate things.
- Lacarnum Inflamarae: Ignites cloaks.
- Legilimens (Legilimency Spell): Allows the caster to delve into the mind of the victim, allowing the caster to see the memories, thoughts, and emotions of the victim.
- Mobiliarbus: Levitates wooden objects a few inches off of the ground and moves them in any given direction.
- Mobilicorpus: Levitates and moves bodies.
- Nox (Wand-Extinguishing Charm): Extinguishes wandlight. It is the counter-charm for Lumos
- Periculum: Produces a burst of red sparks.
- Piertotum Locomotor: Animates inanimate targets. Movements can be controlled by the caster.
- Portus: Turns an object into a portkey.
- Protego Horribilis: A powerful shield charm against dark magic.
- Quietus (Quietening Charm): Makes a target sound quieter. It is the counter-charm to the Amplifying Charm.
Reducio (Shrinking Charm): Makes an object shrink in size. Its counter-charm is the Engorgement Charm[Actually, this is Reducto again!]
- Relashio (Revulsion Jinx): Forces the target to release its grip on whatever it is holding.
- Rennervate (Reviving Spell): Awakens an unconscious victim. It is the counter-charm to the Stunning Spell.
- Repello Inimicum: Disintegrates the persons entering this charm.
- Repello Muggletum (Muggle-Repelling Charm): Keeps Muggles away from wizarding places by causing them to remember important meetings they missed and to cause the Muggles in question to forget what they were doing.
- Revelio (Charm): Reveals secrets about a person or object.
- Rictusempra (Tickling Charm): Tickles the target until they become weak with laughter.
- Riddikulus (Boggart Banishing Spell): A spell used when fighting a Boggart, “Riddikulus” forces the Boggart to take the appearance of an object the caster is focusing on. Best results can be achieved if the caster is focusing on something humorous, with the desire that laughter will weaken the Boggart.
- Scourgify (Scouring Charm): Cleans objects.
- Sonorous (Charm): This charm emits a magnified roar from the tip of the wand. This noise disrupts all in its path, and can even be used to harm opponents.
- Notes: Not to be confused with the Amplifying Charm, Sonorus.
- Specialis Revelio: Reveals spells cast on objects or potions.
- Tarantallegra (Dancing Feet Spell): Makes a target’s legs spasm wildly out of control, making it appear as though they are dancing.
- Tergeo: Siphons liquid and cleans objects.
- Vermillious (Red Sparks): Jet of red sparks that can be used to signal an emergency or as a minor duelling spell.
- Waddiwasi: Used to shoot small, soft masses of whatever the caster so desires at the target.
- Wingardium Leviosa (Levitation Charm): Makes objects fly, or levitate.
Your Favorite Spell in Hogwarts Legacy?
I hope this compilation of Hogwarts Legacy spells intrigues you! This is everything I found from the Hogwarts Legacy State of Play — all spells cast, spoken, or written out.
Let me know in the comments which spells you are looking forward to casting! Did I miss any spells? I’ll update this list!
Until next time, Wands Ready!
Edit: Cheers to YT user Will Steuer for noticing evidence the spell “Lapifors” (Transform target into a Rabbit) in the reveal trailer.
WizardPhD is run by Professor Lynette and Auror Jeffrey! They are Ravenclaws with PhDs who create nerdy content about Hogwarts Legacy lore, a Harry Potter re-read podcast, Fantastic Beasts movie discussions, a variety of gameplay highlights, livestreams, and more ⚡ WANDS READY!